Monday, November 24, 2008

Super Women

In my opinion "Superwoman" was by far the best performance of the evening last night. Kanye West and Rhianna were entertaining, but nothing tops seeing Queen Latifah rap. Alicia Keys, Queen Latifah and Kathleen Battle (a famous opera singer) stole the stage last night with their rendition of Alicica Key's single "Superwoman."

"And now they realize it was a cape not an apron"

Click below to watch the performance
Superwoman AMA Live
by yardie4lifever2

I don't know why the Queen stopped rapping...she is/was the most politically and socially conscious female rapper to ever grab the mic. "U.N.I.T.Y" is one of my favorite rap songs from the 90s. I realize that she's grown into a movie star, but I still have fond memories from the first concert I ever saw: Queen Latifah. When she performed about 14 years ago, although I was just a kid, there was definitely something very empowering about words and storytelling. I think every woman has been called a bitch at some p0int in her life. Music and poetry are very therapeutic and articulates what we go through--that's probably why I love this song. So who you calling a bitch?

I hope she continues to rap.




No comments: