Monday, October 11, 2010

Oakland Education

Reflecting on my time working with high school aged young people in Oakland, I could clearly see the disparities between their schools and the suburban school I attended. Some students were very and smart and engaging, but struggled with writing essays and fulfilling their class requirements. This paradox was hard to witness, although the students I knew had resources, I wondered how many other students in their position did not. In order to downplay their frustrations I often told the kids not to worry because when they get to college they will have a much more positive experience. In retrospect, it seems like these young people were never meant to be on the “track” for college, which only confirms Apple’s position.

Read more HERE and HERE

Oakland Turf Dancing:


No comments: